|The original mill at North Wales was built
by J. H. Egner in 1860, and was then operated as
a grist mill and distillery. It was
forty by sixty feet in dimensions, and three
stories in height, with an attic. At the time of
finishing the mill the proprietor was obliged to
sell it. E. K. Freed and Jonas and David
Moyer were the purchasers. The new firm
removed the machinery connected with the
distillery, and changed that part of the
building into a planing mill, using the other
portion as a grist mill.
In March, 1862, the building was destroyed by
fire, but it was quickly rebuilt for a merchant
and grist mill, with five run of grinding stones and a
forty horsepower steam engine.
In 1866 Jonas D. Moyer withdrew from the firm,
and in 1868 David Moyer withdrew also, selling
his interest to Henry W. Moyer.
Sometime around 1873 the West Point Feed
House was built.
In 1881 Henry Moyer sold his interest to Mr.
Freed, but retained ownership of the West Point Feed House.
The mill was then rebuilt a third time. Its
frontage was 120 feet, it had three stories and
an attic as well as a two story warehouse. The
five grinding stones were replaced with a new
technology that utilized
cylindrical corrugated rollers, greatly
increasing its capacity. It used eight pairs of cast
iron rollers and eight pairs of porcelain
rollers. Running day and night it could produce
150 barrels of flour a day. It was the first roller process
mill in Montgomery County and the third in the