Then and Now
Lukens Station

 
West Point Station, formerly Lukens Station. Photo taken in 1966
   
 
2018
 
This is the site of the Lukens train station, built in 1873 on a parcel of land owned by Jonathan Lukens. It was one of ten stations on the "Stony Creek Line" of the North Penn Railroad, connecting Norristown to Lansdale. The Stony Creek Line is still in operation, but the station is long gone. For several years in the 1870's the West Point area was known as "Luken's Station."

 
1908 postcard. It is labeled "P. & R. STATION." The reason for this description is that in 1879 the North Penn Railroad was leased by the  Philadelphia and Reading Railroad. At the time, the P. & R. Railroad was the largest company in the world.                                                                                                                   Click on the postcard for a larger view
  Notice the station looks different in the photo at the top of the page.
 
The postcard scene in 2006.

The size of the station in the photo is misleading.
 
Heebner's Mill is across Main Street, behind the station.
 
Luken's Station
At some point in history the station was modified,
extending the upper roof line to encompass this addition.
 
Station agent Joseph Huber with Roland and Walter Fenstermacher at the station in 1915.

This photo was taken in 1951. The small white building in the center is the trolley station.
Between the trolley tracks and the train tracks is Moyer Boulevard.
 
The same scene in 2018. There's not much to see.
The train station, trolley station, trolley tracks and the section of Moyer Boulevard are all gone.

 
This rusted electric box likely held the wires
for the signal lights or the station's telegraph.
 
Insignia on the electric box, showing the letters
"R" and "A" in the cross section of a rail road track.
The box when it was connected to the station. This gives us  the exact location!
 
"West Point Depot" in 1967
What remained of the depot in 2006

The station nearly met its demise in March of 1917. A telegraph wire at Kneedler's station (the next stop) fell on an electric line, burning out the instrument at the West Point station. The station agent, Joseph K. Huber, was in the station at the time and prevented the building from being burned down.

In 1923 the "Reading Company" was separated from P. & R. and the Stony Creek Railroad became part of Reading Railroad. In 1976 the Stony Creek Line became part of Conrail when the Reading went bankrupt. In 1999 the Stony Creek Line became part of CSX Corporation.