Then and Now
Heebner's Mill

photo submitted to the North Penn Reporter by Letitia Schultz on 08/02/10.
Heebner's Grist Mill, built by Samuel Kriebel and William Heebner around 1877.
Known as Kriebel's Mill after 1919 when Kreibel bought out Heebner's interest.
Undated Photo An addition has been built onto the rear to shield the railroad cars.
Tragically, these structures along with Wesley Bean's wood planing mill
and several houses were destroyed by fire on October 26, 1918.
1915. The train has passed the mill on the way to West Point train depot.
The mill sold feed, hay, coal, fertilizer and flour.
The site today at West Point Pike and Jones Avenue. The mill was rebuilt after the fire of 1918.
The old mill was steam powered. The new mill was powered by electric motors.
The railroad tracks behind the mill building were removed in the 1990's. One was left behind.

Though similar in appearance, this is not the same building shown in the top two pictures.

In late 1918, after the fire had burnt it down, Sam Kreibel bought out Heebner's interest in the mill and began rebuilding it. By November the new mill was being erected. Partially made of brick, it was 60' by 40' by three stories high and electrically powered.

Wesley Bean also rebuilt his planing mill. It was one story high and powered by electricity. The article on the right, from the Ambler Gazette and dated January 30, 1919 shows the progress of both buildings.  

On January 22, 1940 Bean's planing mill was again destroyed by fire. Kriebel's Mill was damaged by the fire. Evidence of the fire damage under the eave of the roof can still be seen from Jones Avenue.

"Old Company" advertisement from Kriebel's Mill.